Sunday, January 22, 2006

Why I Hate Swimming

I met CL on Friday after work and we went for a swim. I had planned to do 1,600m and that's what I did. It took me just under 32 minutes, so I maintained a sub-2:00/100m pace, which is exactly where I want to be.

During the swim it came to me: I don't hate swimming - I actually love the feeling of moving though the water; I hate sharing a lane with other swimmers! My aversion to swimming is based in the fact that everyone else gets in my way, and I am also worried that I am getting in other people's way. Swimming is not a social sport like running or cycling, so I don't actually enjoy swimming with others (except to meet up so as to provide motivation to each other).

So, if I were to ever win $1MM, I would rent myself a pool for the days and times I want to swim and keep one lane just to myself. I'd let my friends swim in the other lanes. Generous of me, isn't it! Ha ha.

Seriosuly, I'm going to have to get over this as my training starts to ramp up. Luckily, once the lakes warm up, I won't have that problem.

I barely worked out yesterday. I met H&P for dinner/drinks on Friday night and, although it was not a late night, I slept right through from 11:30PM until 9:30AM Saturday morning! I spent the morning cleaning and re-organizing my boxes so that I don't have to play "moving box obstacle course" in my living room anymore. I met J for coffee in the afternoon and then came home and baked a cake for a party I was going to in the evening. I snuck in a bike ride for 58 minutes while my cake baked.

This morning, I ran 18.5K with my friend BG. The group we started out with took off like a flash and we couldn't keep up. Well, HE could have, but not me. The weather was perfect for running today: sunny, no wind and temps just around the freezing mark. Lovely! Our total time was 2:10, but that included my pee break and all the stoplights along the way, so BG said that our pace was likely about 6:47/km (right where I wanna be).

I'm a little stiff and sore right now, but I have an appointment with my AT tomorrow morning (7AM). I'm also planning to swim after work before I go to vote (don't even get me started on this stupid election). So, busy day all in all tomorrow.

Food-wise, I didn't even log my food yesterday and have no clue how many calories I consumed. I ate hors d'oeuvres at the party as well as a piece of the cake I had made. I earned a few more calories today with that long run, but I'm not really that hungry. I had bacon after my run (!) along with French Toast. Oh, and a pint of beer (it was almost noon). Yeah, not the best choices but I don't think I went over calories. I just finished a bowl of pumpkin soup I made this afternoon. Yummmmm!!

No comments: