Saturday, November 19, 2005

So close I can taste it!

I went bike shopping today.

My local multi-sport store was having its open house today (and tomorrow), so after I did my 60-minute jaunt on my trainer I got showered, caffeinated and drove up to the store.

It was a madhouse! I just kind of wandered around and said Hi to a few people I knew (and smiled at other acquaintances across the store).

While I was talking to one of my tri club board members a guy came up and asked us if we needed help with anything. I said that I was looking for a bike and the first words out of his mouth were, "Well then you definitely need a carbon bike..." and went into this whole schpeel about the advantages of carbon fibre, blah, blah, blah. First, I told him that I didn't think carbon would be appropriate for me being a larger person, to which he said, "You're about 120, there's no problem with carbon."

120?? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Yeah, OK buddy, I know you want a sale but let's get real here. Again, he just kept going on and on about these bikes without really asking me anything about myself (yawn).

Just then, the owner of the store came over and asked how I was doing. He's another acquaintance of mine (I've taught a triathlon clinic at his store in my neighbourhood). He basically told the other guy to get lost and that he'd help me out (sweet!). Now this guy knows how to sell bikes! He was asking me about myself and my riding style and what I like/don't like about my current bike, etc. Then he took some measurements to see what size frame I should be in. Turns out I have a long torso - who knew??!! Anyway, we've narrowed it down based on price range and I'm going to go back next weekend to try out a few different models. Yea!

The big decision will be road geometry vs. tri geometry. Right now I'm on road, but I'm not sure that this is really the best for me. I always have a sore butt and lower back when I ride, so I just want to be comfortable on my bike, regardless of which setup ends up being better for me.

Although in the back of my mind I KNEW that I wasn't coming home with a bike today, I really wish I could have. Oh well, next weekend. Patience has never been my forte.

Tech talk: The two tri bikes I'm considering are the Cervelo Dual and the Cannondale Ironman 800. The Cervelo is a bit more expensive, but not so much so. And it's a slightly better bike. I think I'm looking at Ultegra components (can't really afford DurAce), but with a compact crank to make up for the fact that I need a little extra help getting up the big hills. Both bikes are very pretty (cuz that's equally important). The Cervelo is silver (not my first choice) and the Cannondale is acqua blue with these really cool flame graphics on it. There's a pretty yellow Cervelo, but it won't be available until May, which is too late for me (whaaa!). Last year's Cervelo may also be available in blue/black/white. The only thing about that design I don't like is that it's very common as most of their bikes have that design.

It's a beautiful, sunny, cool day here. I had thoughts of housecleaning, but I just cant bring myself to do it. So I think I'll head downtown and go drink some wine instead (at the Wine Show).

1 comment:

Jennifer P said...

Man, sales guys. When I bought my wetsuit they of course asked my weight. I told them 160 (because at that point I was) and they kept going on and on about how small I looked. I wanted to tell them tht they should see me nekkid -- they'll find out fast that I'm not small!