Thursday, February 11, 2010

One more kick at the can

Well, I said I was out of the dating game (and that's not entirely untrue, since I took down my on-line profiles), but I think I'm back for one more try.

J called me last night and we talked for two hours. Just to remind you of who J is, he's a guy I met on POF well over a month ago, but who was a very slow responder. Even after he gave me his e-mail address it was well over a week before I heard back from him.

The last I'd heard from him (last week) he said he would call me on Wednesday night, but he never did. We'd talked about getting together for a run, so I e-mailed him on Thursday to say that I was going away for the weekend. Finally yesterday I got an e-mail from him asking how my weekend was and saying that he'd call me that night.

Given that he'd said that the week before, I wasn't holding my breath. Well, he did call - and we talked on the phone for two hours last night! I was worried that the battery on my BB was going to die. Talking to him was really easy. He's got a nice voice and a good (but subtle) sense of humour. Luckily, I could pick up when he was joking about something, as sometimes subtlety can be lost on me.

What I learned about him:

* He's 42, 6'2" and 240 pounds. He says he's not overweight, but that he's about 20 pounds over his ideal weight. He likes to work out, so it's safe to assume that a lot of that is muscle. I like big guys, so that's fine with me.
* His BD is 8 days after mine, so he's also a Sagittarius.
* He was married once for a year, but they'd been together for 9 years in total. He's had at least one relationship since his divorce.
* He lives/works in Mississauga, grew up in Oakville, and has lived in Georgetown, Milton, and the States.
* He has an older sister who is my age.
* He has a cat (that he got around the same time I got Pepper) that he rescued. He found it in the middle of the road, it had been hit by a car (he almost hit it again himself), so he took it to an emergency vet. They said they didn't think she would live, but she did. They called him back a few days later and said he could take her home if he wanted, but that she'd likely be blind. Well, she eventually regained her eyesight and is fine now. She has a silly name like "Snuggles" or something like that.
* He runs! He's training for his first 1/2 Marathon in Mississauga in May. We run about the same pace, which is why I suggested we get together for a run.
* He used to work in the financial industry, but a few years ago packed it in because he didn't like the lifestyle. He felt he'd gotten too wrapped up in all the pressure of trading stocks, etc. Now he works as a personal support worker, which I'm assuming means he's some type of care-giver for people who cannot take care of themselves.

So, that's most of what I know about him. He did pass one of my litmus tests, which is that he asked me as much about myself as I did about him - it wasn't all one-sided like I've had in the past. I also really liked the fact that he wasn't trying to "sell himself" to me, the way that some of the guys I've dated recently have done. He's kind of like me in some ways.

He has to work this weekend (works every second weekend), so we have tentative plans to meet for a run on Monday afternoon (since it's a holiday). I said that I didn't have any firm plans for the weekend, so if he found himself with nothing to do and wanted to get together to give me a call. He said he'd call me before the weekend was over to confirm about Monday anyway.

That's it! I feel good about this one, but I'm not getting too far ahead of myself. The only potential issue I see is the fact that we live at complete opposite ends of the city (he in the far north west, me in the south east). He does work in the southern part of Mississauga, which is closer to me. I guess it's not really an issue, just something we'll have to plan around

2 comments:

Angela said...

Hmmm. Interesting! Sounds like a great person, regardless! I look forward to more updates from you about him.

Kelodie said...

Sounds promising! Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :)