Friday, December 16, 2005

Earn it, don't Burn it.

I got an e-mail newsletter this week that planted this idea in my brain: Instead of exercising to work of (or burn) the excess of calories I might have consumed, "earn" your calories by exercising beforehand.

Sorry if I didn't express that very eloquently, but what I'm trying to say is that I am often more successful in my eating/exercising if I "earn" my daily calories rather than worrying about burning them off after I have over-consumed.

So, today I hit the gym at 6:15 and ran for 30 minutes on the treadmill (5-min walk to coold down - total 3.23 miles). I then did some strength training (lower and upper 2x10-12 reps) and back/abs. While doing my second set of crunches on the inclined bench I totally bonked! I almost fell off the bench! Note to self: eat or drink something in the morning before you work out.

I'm off to meet CL for a swim. I reeeeeeeeally don't want to swim tonight, but I know it will be good for me. I'll probably make a little deal with myself once I get in there and as long as I manage to get in 1,000m I'll be happy.

Gotta get ready to go! Ciao!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a good point. I often eat something and think I will exercise because I ate more than usual but usually find I don't end up exercising because my body feels sluggish and I don't feel like exercising. But if I do exercise,like today, I did 1hr,15min of intense spinning because I knew that I was baking cookies tonight, I am less likely to overinduldge because I don't want to have wasted all of the effort I made.