Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Getting to the source

Well, I think I've isolated the source of my back pain - my bike saddle! I've had this nagging pain around the tailbone for the last couple of weeks that culminated in the run from hell two weeks ago.

I went to physio and J said that it was likely that I had strained the ligaments in that area. We were trying to figure out how that might have happened and I suspected that it might be my bike since that was the only new thing in the equation physically.

Well, last night I did a 60-min bike workout and I discovered where it is that is putting tension on those ligaments - when I sit up straight. Normally, I'm leaning over in the aero position, but when I'm doing one-legged drills (especially) I am sitting very upright and it puts a strain on my sacrum. So, I'm going to try adjusting the seat slightly to see if that helps. Unfortunately making it more comfortable for sitting up makes it less comfortable when in aero, so it's a bit of a tradeoff. And I hope to spend more time in aero while cycling that sitting upright, so I'll have to see.

If all else fails, I'll just have to look into getting a new saddle. But man, are they expensive! Usually over $100! More, if it's a really good one.

OK, so I'm on my way out the door to go to my run clinic, so that's it for now.

No comments: