Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ranking

I was thinking about a ranking or scoring system for these first dates I am going on. The way I see it, dates can be rated on the following dimensions:

1. How closely he looked like his on-line photo or description (age, height, weight)
2. The venue or activity of the date
3. The ease of conversation
4. The intellectual chemistry (including sense of humour)
5. The physical chemistry (or what my friend CL says, "Can you see yourself sleeping with him?")

I don't know if those four things are equally weighted (because #4 and #5 are the two that make me decide if I want to pursue the relationship). And also because some of those things are related to each other.

Using this system, here is how I would rank last night's date with M:

1. He looked exactly like his photo and did not misrepresent his height/weight. 20points.
2. The venue/activity was good (hockey game), but not the best for having a conversation, so I'd give it 15/20.
3. Due to #2, it was hard to really get into a conversation. Score: 14/20.
4. Pretty good. 16/20.
5. This is the tough one. For now, I will give it a 12/20. I think the venue, etc. made it hard to really get to know him enough to feel any chemistry.

OK, wait a sec while I get out my calculator...

Score: 77

That's enough to warrant a second date, but I really need to see an increase in scores for #4 and #5 if I'm going to take it to a third date.

Plus, there are some intangibles, which kind of influence #4 & #5, like how he was dressed, how he spoke or ate, manners, etc. He did pretty well on those things. But I have to admit, I am still somewhat stuck over the fact that he is Chinese.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I like your scale... I may steal that for my own use.

I'm interested to read about date #2 if it happens.

H said...

Do you know why you're stuck on the fact that he's Chinese? Having had long-ish (1.5 years, 3 years) relationships with Chinese and Indian guys, I can say that sometimes there are some minor cultural differences but really, not much to be concerned about. And, you get exposed to other cultures and traditions.