Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Argh!

OK, I don't want this to turn into La's Internet Dating Blog, but I'm just really frustrated by a recent communication from one of my matches.

It's funny, because most of the other guys I communicated with didn't have much of a personality (or at least not one that came across via e-mail). But then this guy, J, with whom I've been communicating is the exact opposite. Except that he is so cocky and full of himself and totally rubs me the wrong way.

I've been putting off contacting him by phone to set up a date. There's just something... aggressive about him that I find disturbing. I didn't really like the tone of his last e-mail. Plus, he lives about 50km from me, so meeting him would be an effort.

He gave me his phone number some time last week and I haven't bothered calling yet. So today, he sends me another e-mail basically telling me to stop dragging my heels and call him! Here's what he wrote:

Let's be honest. I'm the fun loving, carefree guy your mother warned you about. But don't worry...you probably wouldn't be able to handle me. Hey I thought you actually wanted to meet people, have some fun, laugh a bit. I guess I was wrong. As you can tell, I have a ton of personality and I'm a fun outgoing guy to hang around with. So give me a call. Oh, the part of women wanting to rip off my running tights? It's not true. So you don't have to worry about losing control if we go out on a run.

Sorry, dude, but who the hell are you to assume that I won't "meet people, have some fun and laugh a bit" unless it's with you??!!

I formulated a variety of witty responses, but each one of them sounded defensive. So, I simply replied: I guess we're not on the same page. Good luck in your search.

Argh! Why can't I just get a date in the normal way??

Oh, and Trish - why do you think it's weird that Mr.Coffee and I shook hands?

=========

Ahhhh, I just figured out what it is! You know how everyone says that they're looking for a partner with a "sense of humour", well I've realized that we don't just want that -- we want someone who has a similar sense of humour to our own, someone who gets us and who we get in return.

Although I can appreciate that he was probably just trying to be light and funny in his messages to me, the missing piece for me in his humour is an element of self-deprication, which he clearly does not have. I have no time for people with a cocky sense of humour - because it comes off as arrogance to me. There's something more human and natural and normal about someone who is humourously self-depricating (without being overly critical or depressing).

Although my own sense of humour does lean toward self-deprication, I also have a very sarcastic side to me. I understand that sarcasm doesn't always come across in the printed word, especially via e-mail [hmmm, is it possible that he was trying to convey sarcasm in his message?]. Only the most talented and eloquent writers [of which I am not one] can make it work (and who takes the time to do that in a hastily composed e-mail?).

So, GUS, that's who I want to meet: Someone who is outgoing, positive, athletic (not just "active") and has a self-depricating sense of humour. Someone who smiles with his eyes and has a youthful yet mature approach to life.

==================

To bring things back to the weight-loss/exercise theme, I didn't get a chance to run this evening because I had to go to the visitation for KL's mum. Normally Thursday is my off day, so I'll just switch it up and run tomorrow instead. I ate poorly because there were all these baked goods at the funeral home.

It was also hard to eat well the last couple of days because I am working off site and have to eat from the cafeteria. I'm back in the office on Friday, thankfully.

All that, just when I was down 2 pounds since January 2nd with only 2 more to go until I get back to my lowest weight ever of 166 on December 15.

Tomorrow I'll be good... I promise!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate cocky with a passion. I usually bypass those profiles at LL where the guy starts out "I'm handsome", "I'm attractive" pahlease! Let ME decide that :)

As for the shaking hands thing, I dunno - sounds so business-y, not friendly?

Yes, email/msn contact is so hard as I explained in an email to the guy I'm talking to because one cannot see the other's facial expressions or body language to judge if what they say is to be fun or truth of how they feel. I hate the internet for that because sometimes I have no clue how to take what is said on the other end, lol.

Anyways - good to see you are going forward :)

La said...

Didn't feel a hugging vibe with him. What other alternatives are there?

Anonymous said...

Do nothing? Say, nice to meet you? LOL

I just thought it was weird, you do what is best for you :)

Denise said...

His email WAS sort of full of himself and I hope he wasn't trying to be funny...that never works via email. Perhaps he'll get the idea and tone it down a little with the next girl.

BethK said...

Man, you're right about the lack of any sign of self-deprication. To me that all translates to "I'm going to do and say any damn thing I please and if you don't like it it's because *you* have no sense of humor." Oh yeah, you did the right thing.

There are handshakes and then there are handshakes. I'm certain that if that was me, I would have shaken his hand, too. It's not like a business meeting handshake to stranger or a customer. It's still firm, but there's less shake and a tiny bit longer in the hold. Then there's observing what the person does with the other hand. Other hand on your shoulder: usually patronizing. Other hand grabs your elbow: always skeeves me. Totally covers your hand in their's and holds too long: Space invasion. Light brush of the back of my hand or wrist: Warm and welcoming. Seriously, I think about these things.