Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Speed, baby!

Just got in from my speed workout. We did 7x300m (or so). The entire loop was a 1K rectangle, so we ran hard on the long sides and recovered on the short sides. The hard intervals took me between 1:32 and 1:35, which is good that I was at least consistent and was able to maintain my pace throughout the workout.

I was also glad that I was not the slowest in the group. I was running with two other women and I managed to stay with them the whole time. I suspect that they were not giving it as much as I was on the hard intervals, though. In any case, there was still one guy who was behind us, so I was not the slowest.

The entire workout took about an hour, including the warm-up run, the drills we did before/after and the cool-down run. I think we ran about 7-8K (probably closer to 7).

I felt really great after the run; must be the endorphins. I then met up with my other running friends at the local pub for some food. When I'm feeling particularly naughty, I indulge in the group portions of wings, nachos and beer. Tonight, I was feeling virtuous, so I opted for a salad with grilled chicken and a ginger ale. Came in under calories today. Woo!

Tomorrow is supposed to be an off day, but I feel like I should ride my bike or something. One long bike ride per week just isn't enough and I don't know how else to fit one in before Satuday. I'm supposed to swim on Friday evening, so that means I won't get an "off" day this week. Swimming is good for active recovery (I won't push my pace), so I think I can manage it.

In the long term, I'm going to have to plan in a bike ride earlier in the week, probably Monday evening after swimming (once I start swimming on Mondays again, that is). Either that, or do a workout in the morning before I go to work. It's just so hard to fit it all in!

Time for bed... want to get back to the sweet dreams of my hot running coach that I had last night... zzzzz

No comments: