Saturday, August 29, 2009

Profiles

I'm always interested in reading other people's profiles. Especially women, because I like to see how they present themselves. I wonder what types of profiles get more hits than others. I'm sure that the photo has a LOT to do with it. But what kids of user names and headlines (that show up ahead of the profiles) attract guys the most?

This is what people will see when I show up on a search on PoF (the photo at the left here on my blog is the photo I use). Comments are welcome (I can take it - I think):

Kitchen goddess!
"Totally normal and cool; not a whack-job." - that's what my best friend Leo says about me. I'm young looking (35, not 45), young-at-heart (25, not 45), great smile, awesome cook, fit, great friend, Toronto Ontario

To see the rest of my profile they have to click on my username or photo. PoF only shows the first X number of characters in your profile, without line breaks, so how much shows is up to them, not you.

Is this sending a compelling intro? Would a guy want to click on that link?

Update: So, the two guys I am communicating with right now both have names starting with A, so I will name them A1 and A2.

A1: 46, Gemini, lives near me. We have plans to get together on Tuesday. We chatted quite a bit on-line yesterday afternoon. He sounds nice, has a good sense of humour, and I think we'll get along. He works in the telecom industry and made a comment about having "computer geekery" skills (he's helping a friend buy and set up a computer today), but I don't really know what he does.

A2: 47, (profile says 44, but he fessed up to this in our first e-mail), Cancer. This is the one I spoke about in my last post. We had connected many months ago, but then lost touch, then I started seeing R, then he contacted me again. He replied to my message yesterday and said he's be open to talking and getting together. He's a cop. I think he's in Vice because he made a comment about how he only meets prostitutes and lawyers in his line of work. He plays the guitar. He's working nights this week and then has the week off starting Monday, so he has my number and will call when he can.

5 comments:

Kelodie said...

Men love to eat. You'll get them at "awesome cook". ;-)

Seriously, though, I think your one-liner would catch my attention if I was a guy and I would want to know more.

La said...

The first line is meant to be funny. That came from a real comment that my friend Leo made. What he actually said was "You're not a total whack-job like (so-and-so)." So we joked that I should put that in my profile and he said that I should.

HollyV said...

I like it!

How come my POF only shows the photo thumbnail, not the intro line? I have nothing to go by but the thumbnail...

La said...

Depends on how you are searching. If you have it on display type "detailed" rather than "gallery" (in advanced search) then you'll see the whole thing.

HollyV said...

lol I don't think I've even found the advanced search. All this time I've been looking just at the "matches" page, which only shows the thumbnails, nothing else! Found the general search now... I really need to work on my opening line now that I know about that!