Monday, June 20, 2005

Comments are good!

Wow, so nice to get comments and such an honour to know that people (other than my original readership of two) are stopping by to see what's going on in my crazy life. But now I've got all this pressure to post witty, insightful and meaningful entries! Hopefully, I'll be up to the challenge.

When I was having dinner with H last night I told her how much I LOVED the Iron Horse. The Iron Horse, if you don't know, is the old bike she gave me to replace Big Red after she was stolen after only two days. I had a problem a couple of weeks ago where I couldn't keep the rear tire inflated (slow leak), so I finally got my hands dirty and replaced the tube and all was good for the last two weeks. Until last night...

I always like to give the tires a little squeeze as I walk by my bikes in the hallway. Call them "love squeezes". Anyway, the Iron Horse's rear tire was completely flat. What the fuuhh?? I just fixed that!! I hadn't planned on riding today because I was going swimming after work and had to drive, so I figured I could fix it tonight when I got home. Well, it turns out that the problem is with the tire itself - the bead around the edge is totally fried and it put a huge hole in the tube. So I am grounded from riding my bike until I get a new tire. Hopefully I can do that tomorrow after work so that I don't miss too many rides to work. I was getting very good at my daily commute - it saves me $4 a day in bus fare and/or $8 a day for parking, plus it's an additional 50 minutes of cardio a day. Yes; must get tire fixed! Soon! Looks like it's public transit for me tomorrow.

This morning I went to the gym and did upper body weights followed by 30 minutes on the elliptical. I picked up CL and KH after work and we drove up to the lake for a nice open water swim. It was my first swim in a lake and in my wetsuit this season. After the struggle to get the thing on (size 13 or not, it's still a struggle to pour myself into that thing). The swim felt great. I did three laps of the lake, totaling 1200m (25 minutes). We even saw the legendary turtle that we all believed to live there but none of us had ever seen. It was quite large and it freaked me out a bit knowing that I was swimming along side a creature that large, but it was kind of cool, too.

Eating was bad today. Lunch was OK (except for the cheese on my sandwich), but then it all went to hell in a handbasket in the afternoon. I had a rice crispy square AND a box of Junior Mints at 2:30. Then, after my swim (I'm always ravenous after swimming), I ate a chicken salad sandwich, a Boston Cream donut and dranks a can of iced tea! Zounds! That is some baaaaaaad, eatin' Tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow will be better.

I think eating got off plan today because I didn't take the time to pack my breakfast and post-workout shake last night. I'll have to do that tonight so that I don't get so off track again tomorrow.

I also read an interesting article today on a triathlon site about weight loss - and it applies to anyone who is trying to lose weight, not just triathletes. It doesn't make me very optimistic about being able to lose my final 20 pounds, but I'm not going to worry about that now. If you want the deets, check this out: http://www.trinewbies.com/Article.asp?ArticleID=51

Funny thing that happened this morning (and if you're not from Canada you may not get all the references). I was at Tim's getting my coffee and bagel (I don't normally go there, but it was on the way from the gym to the office and since I didn't have the aforementioned protein shake, I jumped at the first place to get food). As I was putting my change back into my wallet a Loonie (dollar coin) escaped and rolled clear across the place. I was chasing after it and it just kept going and going under tables and chairs, clear across the store. When it finally came to rest, I picked it up and looked at it: it was a Terry Fox loonie (which explains why it seemed to run so darned far away). I found that hysterically funny and started my day with a good laugh.

I'm going to do a 30-minute Gravity class tomorrow (it's a strength wokout on this machine that uses gravity, your own body weight and these pulleys to do both upper and lower resistance training - it's very cool). After work it's a bike/run workout, provided there aren't thunderstorms, which is a possibility.

I'm also teaching for the next four days, so I'm going to need all the physical stress relief I can get!

2 comments:

Denise said...

Your swimming story was lovely and inspiring. I'm generally very reticent about going near the water because of my heft, but I've just gotten myself two 2-piece suites (tankinis, no tummy exposure!) with skirt bottoms and I'm not totally appalled in them, so perhaps I'll have to give the pool in my complex a shot this weekend! Thanks for the nudge. :)

La said...

Yes, bathing suits can be stressful. Mine is a N1ke one-piece (like a Speed0 - racer back style). I used to just take the ostrich approach and not look at anyone else, which meant they couldn't see me (ha ha). You know, I don't even stress about that now even though I am the heaviest of all my female friends. Whatever! I still don't walk around naked at the gym, though.