Sunday, June 19, 2005

Small Victories

Just finishing up a lovely bottle of California cab that I got for a reasonable price yesterday. I had a lovely dinner with H (she was hiding from the responsibility of having Father's Day dinner with her in-laws since her husband is away on business).

The day started off later than usual as the 10K run we were doing didn't start until 10AM, so we didn't have to leave until about 8:30. H picked me up in the Mini and we zoomed along to the race site. We met up with her in-laws (mother-, father-, brother-, sister-, and their kids) and some friends. It was a Father's Day run for prostate cancer research an we've done it for a few years since her FIL has prostate cancer and now it looks like her own father might have it, too.

We didn't break any land speed records on the run doing the 10K in 1:04, but it was still a good 2 minutes faster than I would have done it in had it just been a training run. She can run my ass into the ground any day, but she opted to stay with me and run my pace since she was just getting over a cold and having gotten in late from Boston on Friday was still a little zonked.

After the run, we had a little family picnic and then said our good-byes. She still got a bit of grief for not going back up to the family house for dinner, but she just couldn't bear it, so I was happy to be her excuse/distraction. We drove back to our neighbourhood and just walked and talked and got a latte at *bucks (our normal one is still under renovations after the fire last month and won't be open until July 1, so we had to walk a bit further along to the other one).

On the way back to the car we popped into a local clothing store that was having a sale. I'm in desperate need of shorts for the summer since I only have one pair that fit (sort of). I took two pairs into the change room with me: one size 15 and the other size 13. I tried the 13s on first and to my delight they fit perfectly. I had been lamenting about the fact that I am "between sizes" right now in that I can't quite fit into a 12 whereas a 14 is too baggy. But the 13s fit like a dream, so I bought two pairs - one in black, the other in khaki. They have a bit of stretch in them, but that just makes them fit nice and snug without actually being tight. Size 13 - yea for me! And I'm not attributing this to vanity sizing, either, because I normally buy clothes at this store so I know how their sizes fit me.

So now it's Sunday night. I just got in from a lovely prime rib dinner and a bottle of wine at the pub down the street. I'm watching the MuchMusic Video Awards (Canadian bands rock!) and having a final glass of wine before I pack up my stuff in preparation for my day at work tomorrow. Why do weekends have to come to an end so quickly??

The plan/schedule for this week is:

Monday - gym in the AM (upper body weights and cardio) then hopefully, I'll be going for a swim in my friend's lake. I might have to play softball, which would be a drag because then I'd have to miss swimming. Anyway, I'm hoping to swim.

Tuesday - gym in the AM and bike/run in the evening.

Wednesday - gym in the AM and triathlon clinic in the evening (we're biking that night)

Thursday - day off from working out

Friday - run at the gym in the morning and swimming after work

As J would say, "I'm tired just thinking about it."

No comments: