Thursday, September 22, 2005

Sick & Tired

I woke up with a sore throat the other morning. Normally that means that I will get a full-blown chest cold within a couple of days, but as of today it hasn't migrated the way it normally does. I'm also suffering from allergies right now, so I'm not sure if the sore throat is allergy-related or a cold. It's not getting any better and it kind of feels like a swollen lump in the back of my throat. Gag.

I'm also totally wiped out. Today was my off day from working out, so I took the streetcar to work instead of riding my bike. I was also teaching for the third day in a row and I still have to teach tomorrow (all day on my feet). On the way home, the streetcar short-turned, so I had to walk the rest of the way home. I wasn't wearing proper walking shoes, so I ended up with blisters. Ack! But I did use it as an opportunity to pop into the local bike shop and buy a light for my bike that I really should have had for a while since it's been dark when riding to work in the morning. I have a rear light that flashes red, but not a headlight. But now I do!

I'm back to the gym tomorrow morning. Normally I would plan to run on Friday, but I have to do my long run on Saturday because I'm going down to watch H run the marathon on Sunday, as well as a bunch of other friends who are doing the half-marathon. That means I won't get a long bike ride in this weekend. I'll have to e-mail FS tomorrow and let her know I won't be there.

Speaking of running, I had a great (but hard) run last night. I had planned to run hard but the weather was very hot and sticky, so it was particularly unpleasant. I tried to keep up with the group who are faster runners than I am, but I was always a few hundred feet behind them. But it was good motivation for me to keep pushing the pace. I tracked my pace over one kilometer and it was 5:25/km (8:42/mile) and I kept that pace up for about 5K of my 6K run, so very fast for me overall. My hip is feeling OK today, which is also good.

I'm totally wiped, though. I was supposed to do laundry after work but when I got home my couch was calling my name and I just couldn't drag myself off it. Laundry will have to wait. I actually fell asleep for about 30 minutes while watching TV, which is so not like me, especially at that time of day. I guess I'm just not fully recovered from my race three weeks ago, so these last two weeks of training has been tough on me. Other than riding down to watch the race on Sunday, I'll take that as a second rest day this week because I need it.

Other than the workouts being tough on my body, Boot Camp is going pretty well. I'm getting the eating and food journaling under control, so that's good. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but the little slips I've had food-wise this week I'm filing under "cutting myself some slack". As long as I'm under my daily quota of calories (and I always have been), then I'm not too worried about it. And I've been good about not eating mindlessly. I've been 100% OP in my abstinence from alcohol and I've had many opportunities to cave on that.

Tomorrow is my mid-week weigh-in, so I hope to see a happy number. If not, no biggie - I've still got my official weigh-in on Monday.

1 comment:

Jennifer P said...

Oh no! You're not getting sick too, are you!?

Don't go to the gym. Rest and take care of your body. Boot camp and exercise can wait until you feel better.