Saturday, February 18, 2006

Saturday

It was bitterly cold this morning. -11C with a wind chill of -25. Brrr! Of course, I had a group run planned for this morning. Of course! Grrr (brrr).

I set my alarm for 5AM because I wanted to watch the men's Super G on TV. I draged my ass outa bed, turned on the TV and lay on the couch. After 17 skiers, the Canadian guys were sitting 2nd and 3rd. Rock on! There were still some big names to come, but still. Anyway, they ended up postponing the race because of weather and decided to re-start it a few hours later. So, my 5AM wake-up was totally wasted as I had to leave at 8AM and the race hadn't started yet. Grrr.

We left the city at 8AM to drive out to Burlington to run. The wind was howling, so I was not optimistic about the warmth of the clothes I had selected. It was quite cold at the beginning. I had to pull my fingers out of my gloves and hold them in a fist inside the palm of the glove to keep them warm. But as soon as we got onto the winding road in a residential neighbourhood, the wind disappeared and it was lovely. The sun was shining and I was dressed perfectly.

We ran just over 23K and it took us 2:35. The last 7K were hard because it started to get windy again and I also was feeling some weird back pain. It was like a side stitch, but it was in my back. It eventually went away, but it was quite painful at the time. By then, my left leg was also bugging me as my hamstrings had started to seize up in the cold. I'm feeling OK now, but it's still a bit tender.

I spent the rest of the day vegging on the couch watching Olympics. I'm not into napping - my down time usually consists of lying on the couch, channel surfing. In fact, I'm watching Bobsleigh right now.

I don't think we won any medals today. We won a Gold and a Silver in men's Skeleton yesterday - what a freaking CRAZY sport!! Head first on a sled at 100 kph! CRAZY! I think I'd prefer to try Luge.

Speaking of crazy sports, how about Snowboardcross!! Like roller derby on snow boards! I think we won a bronze in that after both Canadian women wiped out in the final (one of them managed to get back on her board). The American girl totally lost it, though - she had a huge lead going into the final 20m of the race and on the final jump was showing off by taking big air, crashed and lost the Gold! How embarassing! I'll bet she's pissed!

The Next Big Thing is the Canada/Sweden Women's Hockey Gold Medal Game on Monday at 2:30PM. 2:30PM??? Don't they know some of us have to work?? Sheesh!! I think I'll have to (cough) go home (sneeze) early on Monday. Either that or convince my boss and some other co-workers to head to a pub to watch it.

***

I don't think I've journaled any food in the last two weeks. My weight is OK - it's up about 2 pounds from my Lowest Weight Ever that was recorded on February 10, but that's not a huge amount. I think I'm PMS right now, so it could be that. But if I don't see the number going back down I'll have to get back on the Nutridiary bandwagon.

1 comment:

Flo said...

Nice Run!! I really don't know how you folks run in that cold. BRRR!!!

I had s side stitch like pain in my back during my marathon. Someone told me later it was a deep muscle cramp; like a side stitch is a cramp in your diaphram only further back.