Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Drats... another boring update

I forgot to e-mail myself the entry I wrote on Monday. It's a good one... hope you're not disappointed once it actually gets posted.

Workout drivel:

Rode to work. Did a 30-minute Gravity class. It was tough - my legs were burning and I couldn't figure out why. And my ride in seemed harder than normal, too. Realized that it was because I had done leg weights yesterday. Duh! The ride home from work was uneventful (as it should be). Although I have to say that I made up for all the red lights I got on the way in with an equal number of fortuitous green lights on the way home. Even steven.

After work, ate some cereal and then went out for my evening brick workout. What's a brick, you ask? Well, it's a bike ride followed immediately by a run. Your legs feel like bricks, hence the name (ha ha). Anyway, after my warm-up ride down, I rode three time around my usual loop. I got passed by a guy on a really hot bike (Cervelo) on my first lap. I managed to stay with him for a few hundred meters, but the thing is, he was just cruising along whereas I was hammering at 85% effort. On lap two, I got passed by another hot guy on a hot bike (Cannondale, like me). Again, I managed to stay with this guy a short time before getting dropped. On the third loop, Cannondale guy took the bike path instead of the road, so I got ahead of him again. He passed me in almost the same spot as before. This time, I think he let me draft off him because he seemed to slow down and look back to see where I was. I was right on his tail for a while which was nice because it was a little windy and it was nice and calm back there in his draft zone. After the bike ride I ran my usual 1500m out-and-back. The first time I did that little run I did it in 8:26 (5:37/km). The second time I did it, I ran 8:12 (5:28/km). Tonight, I ran it in a blazing time of 7:48 (5:12/km). Holy crap! I had no idea I had gotten so fast! Now, the first two runs were on insanely hot/humid days, which has a huge effect on me. Tonight was a bit muggy and a bit windy, but much more pleasant for running. Go me!

Eating drivel:

I think I ate OK today, but it could have been better. I remembered my protein shake for right after my workout. I had museli for breakfast with coffee. I did have a snack today - peanut butter on a bagel and another coffee (so tired). For lunch, it was pork souvlaki on a pita (tzaziki, tomatoes) with salad and only a tiny bit of dressing and feta cheese. I succumbed to the rice crispy square again at 2:30. When I got home, I ate a bowl of cereal (as mentioned above). After my workout, I polished off a huge protein smoothie (frozen berries, light vanilla soy milk, honey and protein powder) and half a Clif bar. I do need to take in some more water as I only managed 1L today.

Tour drivel:

Lance is back in yellow! Well, not exactly "back" because he hasn't had the maillot jaune at all this year, but considering he's worn is so much over the last six years, it seems appropriate to say that. The previous leader (Zabriskie) crashed during the Team Time Trial today (with only 1.5K to go). He's iffy to continue with the rest of the tour pending medical clearance (might have broken ribs). I'm watching the rerun coverage right now but I haven't seen the crash yet. It's really amazing how fast these guys go when riding in a pack like that. Team Discovery, who had the fastest time on the day, averaged something like 57km/hr (over 35 mph) for over an hour! Crikey!

Speaking of the Tour, time to get back to my TV viewing...

No comments: