Thursday, November 03, 2005

NSVs

Well, considering I am on a hiatus from the scales this week (only 3 more days until I can weigh in again!), I can only report NSVs. I am happy to say that I had TWO this week! Oh, and one little hiccup in my plan.

NSV#1: Like a High School Reunion – only better!

Tuesday night I went to a reunion. It wasn’t for High School or even College. It was a reunion of people who used to work together in the 80s and 90s. I worked there from 1991 until 1994. Shortly after I left, the company was sold to a bank (coincidentally, the bank for which I now work) and the principals of the company left to pursue other ventures. But in the years we all worked there, we worked hard and played even harder. There was an incredible entrepreneurial spirit among those who worked there and everyone agreed that it was the people and the culture that kept us there when the volume of work was so insanely high.

As the years have gone by, many people have left, yet some still remain with the old company (now owned by the bank) and they lament that “things aren’t as good as they used to be.” Those of us who left before things got really corporate remember our time there fondly.

But the reason this reunion was so good was more personal for me. You see, when I worked there I was at least 50 if not 60 pounds heavier than I am now. In fact, many people didn’t even recognize me. Those who did commented on how great I looked. I was a little bit nervous before I met up with my friend JR to go over to the party. I hadn’t seen many of these people in more than 10 years. But when I walked in and saw how old (and in many cases, fat) people had gotten, I took small comfort in the fact that I was one of the few (if only) people who actually looked BETTER today than we did back then. And I got a huge confidence boost from that.

Just like in High School, there were people whose best days were clearly behind them. And I realized that I am currently in my “best days”, yet I still feel that I have many more to come.

Oh, and the dress? It was PERFECT! There was a photographer on hand so hopefully I’ll be able to post a photo.

NSV#2: Pants!

Yesterday, I wore these pants that I have had for a while. Maybe they’re 18 months old. I really quite like them but it was starting to become evident that they are just too freaking big for me now. They were almost literally falling off me yesterday. They are a size 15, so I went to the little shop downstairs to see if I could find something that would fit properly. I was pretty sure that the 13s would fit just fine considering how big the 15s were on me. Well, not only did the 13s fit, but they were actually LOOSE on me! Not so loose that I’d be able to fit into the 11s, but loose enough that I only bought one pair because I’m likely to grow out of them again pretty soon (if you call losing weight “growing out of”). Woo!

Hiccup: Food!

Food mistake #1: Last night I went to the gym after work and ran on the treadmill. I had to kill time before meeting my friends at 7PM uptown. I grabbed a blueberry bagel to eat in the car as I knew I wouldn’t be able to wait until after 7PM to eat dinner. I’m always ravenous after a workout, so I needed something to tie me over. When I got to the restaurant, everyone was ordering their famous chicken wings. Who was I to stray from the other seven people at the table were ordering! I showed great restraint and only ordered 10 wings (everyone else ordered 20) and I didn’t order fries or anything. I actually had to struggle through the last two wings as I was already quite full (hmmm, should have stopped at eight, really). When I got home I logged my wings into Nutr1diary and found that [GASP!] those wings could have been anywhere between 650 and 1,100 calories, depending on which restaurant they were from!!! Of course, the restaurant I went to was not on the list, so I kind of split the difference and logged it at around 750 calories (there wasn't any sweet sauce on them). Depending on what the actual calorie count was, I might have been over on my calories for the day.

Food mistake #2 came today. We were having a going away party for a colleague, which usually means cake or cookies or something like that. I ate one oatmeal raisin cookie (about 2.5 inches in diameter), which according to Nutr1diary is probably about 150 calories. But did I leave it at just one? Nooooooo, I had to have a second cookie – chocolate chip this time (about 155 calories). Grrr.

Good thing I rode my bike to work today to work off some of those extra calories… And I guess that as long as I account for the calories and don’t go over in a day then it’s not all that bad.


I'm just hoping it wasn't a little self-sabotage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ohhhh those are some great NSVs. good on ya :)