Friday, October 28, 2005

Got a Dress!

Score another half-point for me! I'll tell you why: I found a dress for the party I'm going to on Tuesday. In fact, it was the same dress I tried on Friday evening that didn't fit. I found it in another location of the same store in a size 14. I'm happy that I found a dress, but sad that I had to get the 14 (which is why I'm only "scoring" a half-point for that).

It kind of has a Jackie-O look to it. It's about knee-length, sleveless, fairly high in front and cut into a V in the back. It's very fitted in the body and kind of flares out below the waist with a bit of fullness to it without being fussy. It's black and has a bit of a texture (kind of like tone-on-tone brocade). It's very "me" and I think I'm going to look very good in it. I have a pair of black patent leather sling backs that I'll wear with it.

The process to actually aquire this dress was quite painful. I had to go to two malls (I hate malls) and countless stores before I found it. I actually ended up in $ears, of all places, where I tried on five or six dresses. I did find one that was suitable, but again, the 12 was just that little bit too tight. And do you think I could find a 14 in ANYTHING?? Lots of 12s and 16s, but no 14s in sight! Grrr. And that seemed to be a theme in every store I went into.

I have also decided that bias-cut dresses are evil. Honestly, does ANYONE without a perfect body look good in a bias-cut dress or skirt? I don't think so! Every one I tried on accentuated every little lump and bump in my lower body (and there are many). I'm hoping that the proper undergarments will solve this problem with the dress I currently have (because NO dress can hide all a girl's flaws).

I left home at 8:30 this morning and didn't get back until after 3PM. Sigh. Shopping is tough work! And they're doing construction at the mall I was at so the place smelled like tar (blech!). It was actually giving me a headache. As I was leaving I spotted Av3da (my fave store). The scent drew me in. I wasn't in the store 60 seconds when the salesperson offered me some tea. Ahhhh! I love their tea! I just basked in the aroma while I sipped on my Comfort Tea. I bought myself a candle ($40!! Yikes!) and a box of the tea (they have it in bags now, not just loose), which was my little splurge on myself and reward for a hard day of shopping.

When I got home I decided to go out for a run. I didn't really have a planned route, but I just wanted to go out and get some fresh air. I planned to run for 30 minutes and I think it ended up being 29 minutes, so that was good.

I have to work on my halloween costume tonight. I bought a wig and some material this morning and I'm going as the Mona Lisa. I have a blank picture frame that I'm going to take with me to complete the outfit. I don't think my sewing machine is working, so I might have to sew the whole thing by hand. Yikes! I'll let you know how it turns out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to find a new dress for the Christmas party, kind of dreading it! I do have a dress I wore two years ago that fits very well (without grannypants! lol) so I can fall back on that, but it is black and I'm hoping to find something with a bit more colour.

Jennifer P said...

Brilliant costume! Hope you can get some pictures of you at the party -- the dress sounds amazing.