Thursday, October 13, 2005

Great workout, but I'm paying for it now!

Oy! I had a good workout day yesterday, but I'm paying for it today.

I went to the gym at lunch and did strength training on my legs for 30 minutes. It was a tough workout and I knew I was going to hurt the next day as early as 4:30 when I left work. Which meant that I was going to REALLY feel it today!

Then, I met my friends and did a little speed training. I always think of myself as a really slow runner, so I kind of like doing speed training because it makes me feel fast. So, we did a 2K warm-up run followed by 4 x 1000m repeats with 90 seconds rest in between. There was a NASTY wind blowing from the east, so our first repeat was done with a really strong tailwind (woo!). I did that lap in 5:13 - pretty darned fast for me. The return lap into a 40kph headwind was BRUTAL. I tried to draft off my running partners, but they dropped me within the first few hundred meters. I did that lap in 5:28. The final two laps were 5:10 and 5:26, so at least I got faster, which is the goal when doing speed work. If you can't maintain the pace then it means you went out too hard. In the end, we did 7.2K, which is a pretty good day's work in my book.

But today... oh, lordy, the PAIN! It's not "I injured myself" pain; it's "I worked my ass off" pain - which is GOOD pain. Really, it is! But it also put the kybosh on my workout plans for today because I just don't have the energy (nor the inclination). I guess I'll have to try to fit in a workout at the gym tomorrow.

The BC (aka, my little sis) is getting ready for her month-long pilgrimage to Italy, France and Spain on Saturday, so we're trying to get together tomorrow night before she goes away.

CL and I are going to do our long run on Saturday because we're going to cheer on our friends doing the marathon/half-marathon on Sunday. I still haven't decided if I'm going to drive or ride my bike after what happened last time (i.e., the Big Bike Crash). We'll see...

Oh, and tomorrow is another weigh-in day. Many people have commented on how good they think I look, but I reeeeeeealy want to see a lower number on the scales! Pleeeeeeease!

No comments: