Monday, August 08, 2005

Hello, "Jim"

It's been two weeks, but I finally got together with "Jim" again. Things had just been crazy and I had been too tired - at least those were the excuses I gave "Jim" (and myself). Was I, perhaps, falling out of love with "Jim"? Absence certainly did not make the heart grow fonder. But once we reunited, it all became so familiar and comfortable. Maybe it was because we had such a good thing going there for a while, it just became easy to jump right back in. But the truth is, I really missed "Jim" these last two weeks.

In my old job, "Jim" and I used to get together regularly. Our relationship was easy back then due to proximity. But now I have to plan and make a point of getting together with "Jim". I usually have to fit "Jim" in before work because I can never find time at lunch and after work is crazy with all the training activities I do. And even though "Jim" never complained, I always felt guilty if I had to break a date. Like most, I always had the best intentions, but sometimes other priorities (like my desire to sleep) got in the way.

But "Jim" always gets the last word and "Jim" really kicked my butt today. I don't normally feel the pain until the next day, but I know it's going to be there. "Jim" looks all nice and friendly, but can bring me nothing but pain, especially when we've been apart for a while.

So, what did "Jim" and I do together this morning? Well, we started with 25 minutes of upper body weights (oh, I'm gonna feel my pecs tomorrow!), followed by 30 minutes on the elliptical machine. I had to turn the intensity down a couple of notches as my hip was still a bit sore.

Luckily, I had a date with the Marquis at noon today. He put me in all kinds of compromising positions (like my leg over his shoulder!) and then stuck me with needles. That's always the best part as I get to lie in a quiet room with my face in a hole in the table and veg for 20 minutes. When I left, I was feeling much less pain. Climbing stairs (especially with a 35-pound bike over my shoulder) is still a little painful.

I bailed on my swim this evening. The group was meeting up at the lake but I had ridden my bike to work today and was meeting CdeC after work before he caught his train back to Montreal, so I couldn't really fit it in. I thought I might go down to the pool, but by the time I got home I was bagged, so I bailed.

Oh well, "Jim" and I have a date again tomorrow morning, so I don't feel so bad about bailing on the swim.

On a completely unrelated topic, it finally clicked who the women are that I see on my morning ride into the gym: h00kers! I mean, they weren't all dressed up in thigh-high boots with outrageous hair and make-up; they looked relatively "normal" except for the fact that they (different women on different days) were standing on the corner of River and Labatt with no apparent reason for being there. But honestly, what kind of business can they drum up at 6AM on a Monday morning?? Maybe some poor sod who's looking for a quick bl0w on his way into work from the suburbs? I don't know... I just don't get that.

Plans for this week include a bike ride, a swim in the Big Lake (named Ontario) and an easy run. Saturday will be another long ride and Sunday a long(ish) run. I might also go out to Cobourg to volunteer at the Triathlon. Besides, I still have my "award" to pick up from the race I "won" a few weeks ago.

1 comment:

BethK said...

You had me going with the "Jim" thing... Just to let you know, he's seeing me after work these days and oh, so much heavy breathing.

My old room mate was a stripper and one of her shifts started at 6:00 in the morning. The club ran a breakfast buffet for the guys who were getting off 3rd shift at the local factories and shipyards. Possibly your working girls are trawling the same demographic?