Thursday, August 04, 2005

On Plan

OK, how come I can't be on plan with food AND exercise - at the same time?? I've had some fairly good food days lately. And when I say "fairly good" I mean that I haven't been snacking mindlessly, which can always be a problem for me.

That said, why can't my exercise be on plan at the same time? OK, I did have a race on the weekend, so I'm entitled to some recovery time, but I need to kick my own butt back to some physical activity.

Step one was going for a swim in the Lake last night. There were about 20 of us in total and I swam for about 30 minutes. I even got to swim with one of our local pro triathletes (for, like, two whole strokes until he way way ahead of me).

Step two was to drag my ass to the pool again this evening. After doing laundry, I was really debating with myself about going. I knew that a couple of friends were going, so that was a bit of motivation. But since my hip is still bugging me, I don't have a lot of exercise options right now. It also looked like it might rain, so I didn't want to go for a bike ride. Anyway, before I had a chance to really think about it, I had put on my bathing suit under my cycling clothes and had headed out the door. The good news is that I was "feeling" the water really well tonight and had a really fluid stroke. The whole thing felt effortless. I swam 10 laps of a 50m pool for a total of 1,000m in 20 minutes. After that, the lanes started to get really busy and it was crowded with guys who had no business being in the fast lane, so I bailed.

So, those were my baby steps back to exercise. You know, I am actually missing running right now. I am going to see the Marquis tomorrow morning, so hopefully he'll fix me up so that I can run with less pain. I still have not been back on my bike yet, but I still have some minor chaffing issues in some unmentionable places, so I'm not too eager to get back in the saddle.

Today, I had lunch with the BC, which was lovely. We were both basking in the cool air of the underground city as it's still so stinking hot here in the Big Smoke. Tomorrow is Friday, thank goodness. We're having a party for our outgoing boss after work tomorrow, so that means we can leave the office early. Woo!

3 comments:

neca said...

I can really relate. I eat fairly healthy when I am active - but I eat too much. If I get my food down, exercise suffers. It's like a seesaw, and I can never find that magic balance.

And after a tri, I find for a week or so I feel a little directionless unless I am training for something else.

Good luck with it!

Jennifer P said...

I also have problems with my IT band and swear by massage theraphy. At the first sign that it's going to act up, I book an appointment and get deep tissue massage on my hip, butt and lower back. Good as new the next day!

Anonymous said...

I think you're awesome. You were in a race this weekend... a major, hard race (well, to me). I think that alone is enough to warrant the rest you mentioned.

I understand the need to do some baby stepping. I need to do some of that myself!