Sunday, August 21, 2005

Not according to plan

I ran this morning. I had delusions that I could just pick up where I left off pre-injury. Ha! I should have known better. Heck, I counsel others on that all the time! I did run into my friend GS this morning (he twisted his ankle badly on a trail run yesterday so not running) who suggested that maybe the 14K I had planned to run might be a little ambitious considering I'm coming off an injury. Oh, yes, he was so right.

Things started off OK. The weird thing was that when I got to the store I didn't see ONE person I recognized. Where were all the usuals? Anyway, finally hooked up with this guy, JW, whom I'd run with before. He's faster than I am but had been away for a while, so was happy to run at my pace. Along the way, we ran into Rocket Boy (a long time friend of mine) who was running alone in the opposite direction. He decided to join us so I had this great run flanked by two guys who are at least 10 years my junior. Go me!

But then it happend: At about the 25-minute mark, I started to feel the old familiar twinge in my hip. As we got a little further along, it just kind of settled into the typical dull ache. When we got to 32 minutes of running I finally had to say that I should probably turn around because I didn't want to re-injure myself. The thing is, I was feeling GREAT energy-wise; it was just my stupid hip that wasn't cooperating. Anyway, we ran back together and my total running time was 1:05. I think we covered about 9.5K.

After breakfast, I came home, took some drugs and iced my hip. It's feeling OK, but not great. We'll see how it feels tomorrow. So, I guess what I'm going to have to do is just stay off it for the next 13 days until my race and just do the race on faith that I have the inherent cardio and muscle fitness to do it. Sigh.

C1rque du S0leil was brilliant yesterday! It was lovely and exciting and quite the spectacle all around. I think the trampoline and high-flyers were my favourites. I also liked the acrobats who were doing trampoline-like moves while launching each other off the ends of a teeter-totter. THAT stressed me out - it was the only time I thought someone might fall or miss. It was great.

I'm just gonna chill for the rest of the day. I have sooooo much house cleaning to do, which I really should be doing today because I'll have limited time to do it before I leave for vacation on Wednesday morning. My flight is at 7AM, so I have to have everything ready to go by Tuesday night. Vacation! Yea!

1 comment:

Denise said...

Go you, running with little children!!!